(Email me with questions.)
- S.J. Byrnes, “Multilayer optical calculations.” arXiv:1603.02720 (2016).
Postdoc (Harvard), Capasso group
- S.J. Byrnes, M. Khorasaninejad, F. Capasso, “High-quality-factor planar optical cavities with laterally stopped, slowed, or reversed light.” Optics Express 24, 18399 (2016). Official link.
- S.J. Byrnes, A. Lenef, F. Aieta, F. Capasso, “Designing large, high-efficiency, high-numerical-aperture, transmissive meta-lenses for visible light.” Optics Express 24, 5110 (2016). Official link. Also at arXiv. Summary in Physics Today.
- S.J. Byrnes, R. Blanchard, F. Capasso, “Harvesting renewable energy from Earth’s mid-infrared emissions.” PNAS 111, 3927, (2014). Official link. Press release.
- M.A. Kats*, S.J. Byrnes*, R. Blanchard*, M. Kolle, P. Genevet, J. Aizenberg, F. Capasso, “Enhancement of absorption and color contrast in ultra-thin highly absorbing optical coatings.” Applied Physics Letters 103, 101104 (2013). Official link.
Grad school (UC Berkeley), Feng Wang and Ron Shen groups
- My PhD dissertation: Studies in Optics and Optoelectronics
- Coming soon … an article on pulse-shaping in femtosecond lasers …
- W. Regan*, S. Byrnes*, W. Gannett, O. Ergen, O. Vazquez-Mena, F. Wang, A. Zettl, “Screening-Engineered Field-Effect Solar Cells.” Nano Letters 12, 4300 (2012). Official link. Press release. Related patent application.
- S.J. Byrnes, P.L. Geissler, Y.R. Shen, “Ambiguities in Surface Nonlinear Spectroscopy Calculations.” Chem. Phys. Lett. 516, 115 (2011). Official link.
- C. Tian*, S.J. Byrnes*, H.-L. Han, Y.R. Shen, “Surface Propensities of Atmospherically Relevant Ions in Salt Solutions Revealed by Phase-Sensitive Sum Frequency Vibrational Spectroscopy.” J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2, 1946 (2011). Official link.
Grad school (UC Berkeley), Ramesh group
- S.Y. Yang, J. Seidel, S.J. Byrnes, P. Shafer, C.-H. Yang, M.D. Rossell, P. Yu, Y.-H. Chu, J.F. Scott, J.W. Ager III, L.W. Martin, R. Ramesh, “Above-bandgap voltages from ferroelectric photovoltaic devices.” Nature Nanotechnology 5, 143 (2010). See also: Official link., Article summary in Nature Physics “Research Highlights”, Article summary in Nature Photonics “News and Views”.
- S.Y. Yang, L.W. Martin, S.J. Byrnes, T.E. Conry, S.R. Basu, D. Paran, L. Reichertz, J. Ihlefeld, C. Adamo, A. Melville, Y.-H. Chu, C.-H. Yang, J.L. Musfeldt, D.G. Schlom, J.W. Ager III, R. Ramesh, “Photovoltaic effects in BiFeO3.” Appl. Phys. Lett., 95, 062909 (2009). Official link.
Summer job during college (Schlumberger-Doll Research)
- E.E. Sigmund, H. Cho, P. Chen, S. Byrnes, Y.-Q. Song, X.E. Gu, T.R. Brown, “Diffusion-based MR methods for bone structure and evolution.” Mag. Res. Med. 59, 28 (2008).
- S. Byrnes, “Poset Game Periodicity.” INTEGERS: Electronic Journal OF Combinatorial Number Theory 3, G3 (2003).